Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mozilla Thunderbird - Share single email profile to multiple PCs

Hi everyone,

Today I faced a problem in my company. Due to some reason, I was shifted to another PC than my regualar PC. Rest all were going well, but I was faing problems regarding my POP email account configured in Mozilla Thunderbird at my regular PC. I was wondering how to get/check my emails from my original PC.

After a lot of surfing finally I got an amazing solution, which I would like to share with you all. Some how I managed to use the same Thunderbird profile on my original PC to another PC thru LAN.

Here are the steps:

Step-1] First of all on your original PC, goto Start -> Run -> "%appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxx.default", which is your profile created by your Thunderbird email client.

Step-2] Share the folder named "%appdata%\Thunderbird".

Step-3] On your another/remote PC goto "%appdata%\Thunderbird\".

Step-4] Open profiles.ini in Notepad.

Step-5] You will find a profile details as :

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/xxxxxx.default
Step-6] Now add one more profile details in same format as :

[Profile1]
Name=VHNG_Remote
IsRelative=0
Path=\\<shared profiles folder path on original PC>\xxxxx.default
Default=1
Note: 1] Make sure "IsRelative=0", as it indicates that the path is relative or not.
         2] "Default=1" makes this profile as default profile o load at Thunderbird Startup.


That's it.. Now open your Thunderbird and get your same profile back.. :-) :-)

Saves lot of time na, for import-export data???!!! ;-)

The same tweak you can use to move your profile from "C:\" to another drive for data safety while formaing PC.

Enjoy.... :-) :-) :-D :-D


Thanks,
Vihang Shah.

3 comments:

Daivagna said...

Thats cool !!! "Do'nt work hard,Work smart" :),Nice one

Vihang Shah said...

Yeah.. You are right... :-)

Thanks for your comment.

Vihang Shah said...

You know??

For the same purpose of Syncing all our bookmarks, passwords and history in Firefox, we can use Firefox Sync. That is totally free and just need some easy steps to register an account.

That's also a cool one.. :-) :-D

Find a cool free stuff everyday

Giveaway of the Day

Hiren Bharadwa's Posts

DotNetJalps